This document is a follow-on to the Call for Letters of Intent issued September 7, 2016 by the Provost’s Office. See the earlier document for Background and general Criteria for selection. This competition is OPEN ONLY TO THE TWO (2) submissions selected to advance from the Letter of Intent phase of competition. No other proposals will be accepted or reviewed.
The format and content of full submissions should follow these guidelines and contain these sections in a single document not to exceed 15 pages, excluding appendices A, B and C.
- Title of proposed Pan-U Institute and name of or plan for the Director/Leadership role.
- Vision Statement. Rationale and objectives of the Institute, including a clear statement of the questions(s) for inquiry and the approach to answering them.
- How will your institute will elevate UVA from “prominence to preeminence” in your area?
- How will you actively involve/engage all schools from across grounds?
- Competitive Landscape Analysis. UVA’s position on the national research landscape in this area, including who else is a key player in this space, what UVA’s relative strengths are in comparison, and why this Institute can lead and distinguish UVA in advancing the field and the questions it addresses.
- Program Description. Provide more detail on the approach to be taken to answering the questions posed in section 2. Describe the key programs of investigation that will be brought together under this umbrella and how the whole becomes greater than the sum of the parts. How will an Institute be enabling in a way that individual or small collaborative efforts cannot?
- Impact. What are the expected outcomes of the Institute if successful? What are the prospects for follow-on funding, and, in particular, for competitive major center grant(s)? What is the anticipated trajectory of your institute – how and over what time frame do you expect it to be born, flourish (achieve its objectives), and sunset or evolve to something else?
- Expertise/qualifications of key collaborators. Include a list and signatures of all interested contributing collaborators in Appendix A.
- New hires proposed. Where is there an opportunity and need for new hires (how many in what area) to complement existing UVA faculty?
- Resource Priorities. Rather than a detailed budget, what we would like to know at this time is: what would you do in the first years with an annual budget of $100k*, $500k, or $1M and in what broad categories? Do not include new faculty hires here, as these will be in the deans’ budgets. Do not include current faculty salaries or teaching release costs.
- Appendix A (required). List of collaborators with signatures. Please include names and signatures of key collaborators. Please start Appendix A with the page(s) with names/Schools/Depts/signatures, then on the next full page, please place one-paragraph summaries of qualifications/expertise of these key contributors. We have an example on the website.
- Appendix B (optional). Endorsement letters by deans or directors of synergistic activities.
- Appendix C (required). Since your proposal teams may involve most if not all subject matter experts from within the university, we are seeking your assistance in identifying external subject matter experts. In addition to their substantial personal expertise in various topics involved in your proposal, we seek reviewers who know the broader landscape of leading centers and institutes nationally, and ideally, internationally.
- Appendix D
*In the event you were given a seed grant rather than chosen for the Pan-U Institute.
We are looking forward to receiving your submission on March 20th! Please use the following formatting convention for your proposal:
Please submit a single PDF file, in the order listed that contains:
15 page proposal
Appendix A (required). List of collaborators with signatures.
Appendix B (optional). Endorsement letters by deans or directors of synergistic activities.
Appendix C (required). Reviewer suggestions
*Please use the naming convention: PI last name_InstituteTitle.pdf (Example: Smith_XyzInstitute.pdf).
Margins must be one inch and font size not less than 12.
Please upload your submission here.
Select Proposal Type: "Pan-University Institutes" from the drop down menu, no later than 5PM March 20, 2017. Browse for your file, submit. After uploading, you may make any changes you like until the deadline. Simply repeat the steps, it will automatically replace the old file with the new one. No changes will be allowed beyond the deadline.